Monday, September 15, 2014

Preempting Hair Changes

Part-way thru the cut...
Grateful that I talked to experts, a few survivor friends, and read blogs and advice sites for people dealing with chemotherapy and side effects.
I've mentioned a few times that I've read about how patients who have longer hair are advised to get it cut short to help with the transition to losing hair/going bald...
Decided to do this before my first chemotherapy appointment. That appointment is this Saturday- 5 days away.
Sophie, at Tony and Guy in Central is one of the best hair stylists I've ever experienced. (And I'm really picky as a curly haired person.) Really appreciate how she handled today- I know that it wasn't just hard for me to get the hair cut... she's been invested in my hair- helping it grow, getting it to a style both of us agreed worked well for me, and now had to go thru cutting it. This was after last year when she flat out told me she'd never cut my hair short in a random conversation we were having...
So, I nervously asked Sophie a bit ago if she'd be willing to help me with this not-so-wonderful situation... Of course she said yes... She's one of those that is comforting and ridiculously talented simultaneously. I also asked my friend Amy if she'd come distract and take pictures... she's a wonderful friend that staged an intervention with another dear friend the first day I stepped foot in a community center here in Hong Kong and helped welcome me and sorted me out with doctors, hair stylists (introduced me to Sophie), and more... I appreciate her friendship tremendously. Amy came prepared with funny anecdotes, interesting things to chat about, and a talent for photographing the whole thing...
Now it is done.
Documented.
Moving on.
I think it is a lovely haircut. Not what I would have ever chosen in a different situation...
(damn cancer)
Sophie is on call for when I need to officially shave it off... as is Amy.

Husband was wonderful as always, he first said, "Well, you have your hair pulled back so often this wasn't too much different until you turn around. Almost forgot for a second." - he likes it...

Kiddo was a little tumultuous.... Yesterday I asked him to decide between a few short curly haired pictures... he chose this one:

A friend recommended that I ask him to help with the decision, appreciated the suggestion. I loved the show Felicity and was surprised by the haircut way back then on Keri Russell... which isn't appreciated by many out there but helped me look at short curly hair as a possibility.

When my sweet kiddo got home from school, we caught up and this was his reaction to the hair cut: First not really noticing, then noticing, then saying he liked it, then later saying it scared him, then tearing up and saying he never wanted me to lose my curls and long hair, then voicing concerns about me eventually going bald, then at the end of storytime together saying that he thought it was pretty and goofing around together. I knew it would be up and down and up and down for him. Love my little sensitive guy.

Somewhat of a mohawk style for a friend who suggested it... partway thru cut.
(Hardest part was actually seeing the top part of my hair cut short...)
Facebook friends are incredibly supportive... beautiful people that they are. Many told me the cut brought out my eyes, made my cheek bones more pronounced, and that I should get some fun dangly earrings. Many suggested I color my hair an outrageous color, funny idea but heck no... going to put enough poison in my body with this chemotherapy, no need to put it on my scalp as well. :)

So.
Got thru the day.
(It helped that earlier in the day I was able to go to school to see an absolutely fantastic author visit for my students with Candy Gourlay- LOVE HER BOOKS- Shine and Tall Story- and also had a long wonderful Skype visit with my best friend in Alaska....)
Positive moments keep getting me thru.

*Amy noticed that I was having a few "wow" moments right after the cut and that she expected that I'd have some to share on the blog, yup.... I do like my lists.
Here's a few things I randomly thought of since the cut:

1. I need other things to fidget with now that my hair isn't there to mess with...
2. It is fun to touch short hair.
3. When it rains, you can feel raindrops when they hit your head.
4. My hair will actually dry in less than an hour now vs. taking all day to dry.
5. I can feel every breeze now...
6. Missing the cushion of hair when leaning back, sigh.
7. Will take adjusting for how much hair product to use.
8. Washing my hair is super fast now.
9. Short hair is stinking easy... No need to think about how to style it. Just wash and whoop, you're done!
10. Curls will find their way. Right now every hair on my head is saying, "Oh My Goodness WHAT Happened? I'm FREE!" and they are having a little fun adjusting... curious to see how humidity here in Hong Kong will effect the hair...
I'll watch the changes over the next few weeks until things change with expected chemo side effects kicking in...

So ends my thoughts for today... Glad I have time to reflect. Thanks all for keeping up with me on this....

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I have always wished for curly hair. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you lots! Thanks for sharing Declan's reaction, wanna hug you both! :-) YOU are beautiful and always will be the most beautiful lady I know and always have been. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look mischievous Debbie! It really does bring our your lovely eyes =)

    ReplyDelete