Monday, October 13, 2014

Unproductive, can't really move days

I am really, really tired of sick leave.
I was tired of sick leave last year.
Twice. It was already torture I was happy to put into my past...

I am tired of feeling unproductive.
I am tired of being stuck in bed.
I am tired of side effects bringing me down.
Tired, tired, tired.

Today, Monday, was a not-so-fun day. I took anti-nausea medicine. It throws me off.
Sundays confuse me- I have energy and a little ambition. I put together to-do lists for Monday and then laugh at myself (and honestly get a little frustrated at myself) when Monday rolls around and I can't do anything on the list. Especially when the list includes things I find really important. My husband just looks at me when I mention to him about my frustration and says "Monday, Debbie, Monday you need rest." He's right. I'm just frustrated is all.

I enjoyed watching tv shows and reading a magazine. 
My brain wouldn't concentrate on reading beyond that. It wouldn't even give me focus time for writing.
I somehow cleared out my emails by the evening though.
I enjoyed a few picture books that my wonderful assistant sent home with my son. Snuggle reading with the kiddo is always a good pick-me-up.
I actually worked on my other blog a little bit.
I Skyped with my friend who is coming to visit and help me out this Friday.
So I did actually do 'stuff' but man am I sick of sick leave. 
I love work. I love teaching. It is my passion. I'm living vicariously through my blogging friend's posts and conversations about inspiring things they're doing with their students. Can't wait to get back to work when I have energy/am allowed.

I think when I don't leave the apartment it is worse but I'm just not up for adventuring on my own on Mondays after chemo, too paranoid now. Don't want to misjudge my energy and collapse somewhere random.


I found out that my oncologist is off for a one day work trip to the US on Saturday. This means I had to change my chemotherapy day. So I'm having it early, this Thursday instead.
Ruffled my feathers at first to be honest because I was just starting to understand and read what was going on with my body... and I didn't want to break the routine. I do consider it a mixed blessing because when my wonderful friend arrives, she'll be dealing with some terrible jet lag and my worst days will be days she'll need for rest/recovery anyways. We've already planned to watch many movies together. Looking forward to friend time. 


One good friend wrote me and I loved what she said: "I wish you moments of forgetting, even briefly, that you are sick." 

Isn't that lovely? I agree, those moments of forgetting will be cherished. It is hard to forget, especially when I'm curled up in bed unable to move. But, I will try tomorrow- if my body allows- to get the heck out of the apartment for at least a few minutes to walk around. Getting out and about does help me sometimes forget for a moment and just enjoy the day. Hong Kong weather is H-O-T but so beautiful right now. I hope to enjoy it a smidgen...

Qigong in the evening will be a welcome distraction to refocus my mind, breathing, and energy. So grateful I learned about it and that I have friends willing to come to my apartment and take the class with me... Being surrounded with friendly smiles, hugs, and support is simply a blessing.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day, thanks for journeying with me, even on the lower, weaker days...

2 comments:

  1. so much to handle. physically and emotionally. Ah, that quote from your friend... but how hard that must be. The buddhist monks, they know so well how to separate their minds from their bodies. If only you were a buddhist monk. Sending love and energy and forgetting, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I were a buddhist monk... well, I guess I'll read about them at least! :) Thank you Gae...

      Delete