Wednesday, December 3, 2014

PET Scan and Waiting

Feel like I'm in this waiting game... My first PET scan in August was not fun and I was anxious about having it since my breast cancer diagnosis in March... I still have the memories of the revealing results after that first PET scan - third cancer, operation and more... so this one's no fun either. Waiting for results, shall see and share when I'm honestly up for sharing.
PET scan... hope no one has to deal with it themselves. Seriously.
The place I returned to today has the nicest nurse who quickly, carefully put a line into my inside elbow which was there for the next hour and a half. Having a needle in one's elbow area is actually worse than the line in my hand I've grown accustomed to for the past 11 chemotherapy cycles. Something no one should get used to by the way.
She was quite comforting as she tucked me away in a special room and instructed me to drink a LOT of distilled warm water (I finished it all)... Then a second person came. I described this last time I think as well. He has a special restricted room with special prepared glucose with a dose of radiation... he quickly told me about the process:
1. Drink a lot of water.
2. After he puts to glucose into me, wait 45 minutes to 1 hour for it to run thru my blood stream.
3. When I'm notified over the intercom that it is time, evacuate my bladder and then push the special door button to release me. (don't you love that word use? I chuckled.)
4. Carry all my belongings to the CT machine area, lay down and put my arms above my head with my fingers laced...
5. Lay still for 20-25 minutes.
Then he pushed some saline in the line in my elbow and ran to get the special needle and pushed the glucose into me as a radiation alarm went off the whole time. Not disconcerting at all...
Then wait. Note to self: next time, yank the blanket out right away, do not sit feeling cold shivering and drinking warm water. Reading books is good but being warmer is important. Don't forget to make the chair comfortable as well, lazy-boy chairs are popular in these clinics.
I had a bit of an issue having to get back into the CT machine, after two rounds of radiation, the machine is not my favorite place to be... 20 minutes of quiet, peaceful, not moving thoughts... got thru it. After they pulled me out the last time, they came over the intercom with a warning to stay still and not move that they were not done yet, 5 more minutes. I stayed still and figured out afterwards that they were going over all the scans to make sure there wasn't any extra scans needed before I was released. (English wasn't the strongest in the clinic but passable.)
The nurse met me in a small room and pulled out the needle and zipped over to dispose of it in the secure room. Then gave me a bandaid with the instructions to flush twice when I use the toilet and avoid pregnant women and children for 4-6 hours as I will have residue still in me...
Walking out I ate a banana (did I mention I had to fast for this test and was shaky/starving?) and zipped over to my favorite juice place in the IFC mall- Genie Juicery to pick up a treat for myself. Then went home to snuggle with my sweet dog and nap a little bit... then attended the chanting class I'm not too fond of but it is healthy.... then decided it wasn't enough to get juice so after family dinner, my husband and I went to see Mockingjay at the theater, that was a treat for the both of us. Actually walked 10,000 steps today! That's a big turnaround from Mon/Tues... Grateful to have a few fun things to do today... and for stamina... grateful to only have a few days to wait for results (I hope.) Now, I'll look forward to listening to the next episode of Serial in the morning...

Thanks for journeying with me... day by day.


8 comments:

  1. I want nothing more at this exact moment than to hug you. You are so brave Debbie. What you have had to endure is unbelievable. Sending love, healing thoughts and doggy kisses from Xena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on going, Debbie. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candy, day by day, going... love your way...

      Delete
  3. I do not know how. I just passed out reading this all. AND walked 10K steps and went to a movie?!?! Shit, Debbie. You are a freaking superwoman. And I want to hug you too. And I'm so sorry that you -- or anyone on earth -- has to go through this. Sending love and light. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... Agreed, noone should go thru this. Love your way... :)

      Delete
  4. Debbie, what an incredible day - your bravery and honesty always inspire. Glad that you had at least some joy in the day - family, food and film. Continued prayers and good wishes flying your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, appreciating the joy. :) Thank you for the prayers and good wishes. :)

      Delete