Friday, January 30, 2015

Monday thru Friday thoughts

A lovely friend who has visited me multiple times over the past 6 months came and gave me bone soup and the brand new magazine- Healthy Living Asia magazine! I'm a print published book reviewer now! So exciting. I'm working on reading two books for the next issue... I also was interviewed in the magazine about this cancer journey, honored to be part of a very fascinating/worthy publication. Friends in Hong Kong, look out for this magazine, you'll love it!
Here's a link to see the cover and read about how my wonderful friend created the magazine with a fantastic team of people! http://thehkhub.com/featured-posts/healthy-living-asia-magazine/


Monday: Tonight I was listening to my beautiful sister sing (lucky me getting to do so) and then I started listening to other music on iTunes. I came across one of my favorite singers- Sting (we share a birthday, folks!) and listened to Seven Days... loved the storytelling of the song. Thought it was appropriate to listen to this when I'm working my way through the next 6 weeks...
Appreciating wearing my own slippers. Day 5 done. 25 is a smaller number... Will see how I'm doing by the end of the week. Was told I shouldn't feel fatigued already. Hmm. Also appreciated learning that my skin was being spared this time since they are aiming for the internal area but I was still allowed to use the Radiagel if I wanted. I said I would for my own mental stability. Nervous about germs at work. My assistant was home today with a fever. Wash, wash, wash those hands... Hand sanitizer galore... Plus some essential oil drops to defend against germs will help too!



Tuesday - Enjoyed taking time for Yoga Nidra this afternoon right before treatment. So kind of a friend to come by and read me through it. I plan to use the audio on my iPhone other days when I feel I need it. Celebrating small successes tonight. First qi gong session where I didn't have any thought or need to sit down. Baby steps of chemo recovery- noted. Radiation day 6 done, appreciating the lack of side effects so far (beyond fatigue) and carefully monitoring myself. One really heartbreaking moment that is weighing on me is learning that a former Oregon Battle of the Books colleague has passed away after dealing with cancer treatments for a really long time... heartbroken for her family. She was an inspiring, touching, kind person who gave her all to anything she committed to. Really loved working with her... so I'll be celebrating her life in my mind for a while ahead...


Wednesday - Got thru the day. Lovely walk with a friend down to treatment. Got thru treatment. Noticed that it had been a week since I've had a bloody nose. Wow. That's another baby step recovery from chemo...

Thursday - Thanks to two friends for walking with me... Another day, enjoyed family time in the evening, especially snuggle time with the kiddo. He and I are really enjoying the novels we're in the middle of... Had another revelation... tried a new toothpaste this past week (Sensodyne) and FINALLY after 4 months I'm not hurting where I have the receding gums... Actually being able to bite into things on both sides of my mouth is a beautiful thing to experience again. Around lunchtime today my heart broke again for an Oregon friend who lost his husband after medical struggles... Sending love his way.



Friday - Treatment number 9 done! Woot. 21 is a smaller number. Thanks to my friend for giving me a ride to treatment... Amazing how much easier it is with someone helping me get to the appointment. Grateful to realize this time, the last two radiation rounds were a blur but this time I'm certain I'm more positive. Shall see how next week goes. Today was dragging along. I know other colleagues were tired today as well. Shall see. Temp, blood pressure, and O2 level checked multiple times this week. I really appreciate knowing each time that I'm "normal". I went to an evening support group at CancerLink. We had an interesting presentation about something called VirtueScope- really appreciated the special ideas and insightful comments shared. It is a card game with different virtues to focus on throughout the year. I just love the perspective. Enjoyed discussions and the cards/depth of virtue ideas... What amused me- people's view of me - card pulled? Resourceful (yes, that's what I've been told...) I'm Pure-Hearted as my foundation for the year and driving force... ok. Dignified was pulled for what supports my pure-hearted foundation... I also appreciated that I share Determined with others - here's the card's explanation of determined: "Single-minded, yet flexible, I keep on moving with love and purpose towards my destination." Interesting to read- was told to post with all the months labeled for the year with a focus each morning to look at the virtue. Then at the end of the year the outcome for me would be Tolerant "maturity to let go of expectations and love to keep on giving." Loved the positive attitudes of those in the group. Had a fascinating conversation with one person from Washington who was diagnosed 15 years ago (stage 4) and told he had 7-9 years to live but has lived well for 15- and we have the same oncologist, grateful for the chat. Was reassuring. VirtueScope link for an online version: http://vscope.memebot.com/

Now excuse me while I watch the finale of Parenthood (sob)... I still love that show... Will probably watch the finale a few times before letting go...
Thanks for journeying with me.

2 comments:

  1. I love you! Glad that you went to cancer link, interesting information and I love that guys experience/share with you. Was it the guy who was there when we went? Accent? :-) Good for him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the guy with the accent, this was a different/new to me person who's been around the group for a while. Nice. American. :)

      Delete