Wednesday, February 4, 2015

So you shouldn't smoke at the hospital

I felt very outspoken as I was waiting after radiation today for the bus. (Day 12, 18 left to go. When I look at a calendar, I have less than a month's time left now. Next Monday I'll be half way done.)
I was wearing my mask (as always) and waiting patiently... listening to an audiobook (very humorous memoir called I don't know what you know me from by Judy Greer) and suddenly a waft of cigarette smoke infiltrated my nose. Immediately I turned and looked at the people behind me... no cigarettes. Looked over to the opposite side of the waiting area, there he was- this French guy who came out earlier talking loudly on his phone... I yelled out, "PLEASE DON'T SMOKE." then pointed to myself "CANCER!"  He said sorry and moved a little away from the waiting area and closer to the 'No Smoking or Possible Fine of $50,000 sign'. Security walked out to talk with him and he quickly put out the cigarette and left the area.

Now. I hate cigarettes. Always have. I learned to hold my breath at an early age around them. My mom was a good influence on me for my ultimate hatred of all drugs (I'm happily an innocent one who never tried anything, was a member of Students Against Substance Abuse and other clubs in high school.) I blame cigarettes for my beloved grandmother's death too young. I was so proud when my dad finally quit his battle with cigarettes while I was in college (he never smoked in the house)... I also was tremendously proud when my brother in law quit smoking, but don't think I ever told him...

Since I was initially diagnosed this third round of cancer with lung cancer I totally was freaking out about cigarettes even more so than usual. You see, everywhere around our apartment complex are cigarette smokers. Seriously, walk down the steps, smokers, stand in line for the bus- smokers, walk down the street - smokers... Hong Kong has a terrible cigarette problem. I'm absolutely shocked at how many people smoke. And I worry for those people. I worry for everyone getting poisoned my second hand smoke. I am also personally concerned about my son who has adjusted to mom being a nutcase and he holds his breath too at times... We're up pretty high so I don't worry as much about cigarettes in the apartment (but we do have air purifiers). I will look forward to walking into clean air in Oregon though when we move home in July.

Did I mention that when we were in the Philippines there was a freaky moment when we were getting off a ferry and my husband went to get our luggage and my son and I were catching up to him and a person smoking actually touched his cigarette to my son's arm? Freaked my poor kiddo out (and me) and made my husband furious. Kiddo's burn healed quick, I had quick ointment to pop on him, etc... but man do I hate cigarettes.

The hospital is a place where I make that simple assumption that I should be able to breathe easily without worry of cigarette smoke. But. When I walked out of the Tomotherapy room to go change into my street clothes, I was quite surprised to have a breath of cigarettes waiting for me- there's an outside door, guess some of the people took a cigarette break there... so when I waited for the bus and was assaulted? I wasn't shy.

It has been an ok week so far. A wonderful friend came and picked me up and stayed with me on Monday for treatment and the clinic was running 20 minutes behind! We enjoyed the chance to sit and chat for a while and I was so grateful to sit in her beautiful car and get a ride home instead of ride the bus. Tuesday I had yoga nidra and received a ride to treatment, so grateful. Wednesday (today) I got a ride from a wonderful colleague who offered at lunch... appreciated that chance to chat with her as well.

I'm still enjoying qi gong, such a healthy practice and I find that the breathing exercises are helping me out with the random spastic coughing attacks I've had over the past three days. The main woman I chat with at the clinic reminded me that they are radiating the center of my respiratory system so coughing is a side effect that can be tampered with medication only, not water... will ask my oncologist about this on Saturday. Acid reflux is another side effect I'm watching for but gratefully not experiencing... yet.
Teaching and coughing don't mix too well. Reading aloud a novel and coughing don't work well together either. Sigh. Still enjoying work though. Having fun planning out literacy week, author visit, book character day, and more presently. Thank goodness the computer system at work is back on track. Relieved for that...

Enough brain dumping for today....
Thanks for journeying with me...


4 comments:

  1. I am with you 100 x 100 per cent on the no smoking. I have hated it for years. I have never been shy about making my feelings known to anyone smoking near me. Why anyone smokes with the abundance of research, not to mention the cost of cigarettes, is a real head shaker. So happy to read that friends and colleagues have been spending time with you and taking you to your treatments. It's an honor to journey with you. Sending you love and doggy kisses from Xena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, just doesn't make sense beyond the addiction aspect... Love and hugs...

      Delete
  2. Smoking is nasty, and so difficult to quit. Your Philippines story sounds similar to the one my dad used to tell -- he was holding newborn me when his cigarette touched my arm, and I screamed like a banshee. It was the last cigarette he had. Lots of love and healing thoughts your way. XXOOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lesson for your dad... wow. Anticipating seeing you! xoxox

      Delete