Monday, April 13, 2015

Being Incredibly Controversial

My oncologist warned us. He said, "I know I've gone on what others consider a very aggressive route with your treatment. If you talk with an oncologist at the local hospital, I know this will come up as controversial."
Why yes.
Yes it did.
I haven't heard someone say the word 'controversial' that many times in the space of 20 minutes before. The local hospital oncologist said that my oncologist has gone the extreme route all the way through... including radiation, etc. The local hospital oncologist flat out told us that there are three choices that they could make to support me:
1. Do nothing and watch how I'm doing simply with scans, etc.
2. Treat me with chemo only partly with Taxol and Carboplatin
3. Treat me with chemo cocktail that my oncologist planned and gave me before: Taxol, Carboplatin and Avastin.
The oncologist said that in most cases they would only select #1. After further discussion with my husband about finances, our choices, and our plan, he said that he needed to get back to us.
He is going to meet with a panel of oncologists on Thursday and see what they suggest. Then my husband is going to go to my appointment on Friday (as my proxy) and find out what they say, possibly with me on the phone.
My husband said: "You don't need to form and opinion or think about this until Friday."
Ok then.
In waiting mode but grateful that there's an option we're exploring and that we're also in complete agreement that we are not compromising with my health plans.
If we go with the private oncologist I've seen the whole time I'd start chemo next Monday. But shall see what comes of the local hospital first.

Some interesting points this local hospital oncologist shared:
1. I reacted well in the past to the chemo but there might be new worrisome side effects
2. Taking more of the chemo cocktail might make the chemo less effective in the future if (god forbid) I need chemo again.
3. There's no proved research that says that more chemo is effective, many oncologists are doing one of the three options above without any collective data.

Hmm.
Controversial.
Just want to live day by day appreciating life, thank you. Trusting my oncologist at this point but forcing myself to be patient til Friday since money is a factor. Sigh.

Thinking about Bali, roof of one place we stayed at...
Today at work I received many compliments about how good I'm looking, healthier, etc. Some mentioned how nice it was to see the curls coming in. Sigh. I joked with one person "Just in time to get more chemo" and startled her. My sense of humor is still twisted a little tight I guess.
Glad I can see where I'll get back to hopefully by August/September/October (maybe I'll have curls by my birthday this coming year, that'd be a heck of a lot better than the past two birthdays) after this next round of chemo. I do feel a little whiny and have thought over the past few days how it just isn't fair. But what is fair in life at times? There are terrific wonderful days and there are tough days, riding those waves... Bearing up, dealing, and not thrilled but coping.

Thanks for journeying with me as always...

4 comments:

  1. Man oh Man. You've been through Hell and back again. Seriously, I think the Gods need to back off and give you a friggin' break! Hang in there, Debbie. Sending you oodles of hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. TGFD Thank God for Doug. And I'm sure you do every day. I like his advice! And so good to have other oncologists weigh in on the very aggressive treatment during a time of health. Wouldn't it just wear down your body unnecessarily? Maybe running out of insurance is a good thing, making you question and reassess. Sending you lots of love and healing thoughts!!! XXXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. TGFD Thank God for Doug. And I'm sure you do every day. I like his advice! And so good to have other oncologists weigh in on the very aggressive treatment during a time of health. Wouldn't it just wear down your body unnecessarily? Maybe running out of insurance is a good thing, making you question and reassess. Sending you lots of love and healing thoughts!!! XXXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. HUGS Mass amounts of hugs...you are one amazing woman, Debbie. ♥♥♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete