Thursday, April 23, 2015

Chemo reactions, careful monitoring

Was feeling a little styling... Tuesday.
Second to last time I watch my body react to chemo. While I was getting the infusion, I felt more and more fuzzy in the head but still cognitively with it, just slowed.

Tuesday I felt still somewhat hopped up on the steroids, allergy medication, and anti-nausea meds but I did take the prescriptions I was told to... Tuesday afternoon I hopped in a taxi after working a full day and rode to the ferry terminal. I met up with my wonderful friend Megan and we headed to Discovery Bay for a librarian's meeting. It was an interesting one but my eyes struggled to stay open at certain moments to be honest. I enjoyed discussing books and making new agreements for the Golden Dragon Book Award program we're organizing and also eating dinner and chatting with wonderful people.

Wednesday I got thru the day but barely. I came home to a refrigerator that was broken. Oh, did I mention that last Friday our washing machine was broken? We got a replacement on Tuesday. No rest for the weary. We tried different things out and are hoping that the fridge will last the 2.5 months we're still here in the apartment, shall see. I napped and watched shows and calmed my mind.

Thursday was a little rough on the coughing. I thought it was easing up but not quite... feeling better this evening though I think. Worked all day and then hopped in my friend's car and headed to another school. Met up with my wonderful friend Tanja and we co-presented at an IB PYP session on author inquiries. It was fun to co-present and bounce off one another's ideas. Grateful I had the energy for this.

And now... Friday. I'll get thru it. I'm missing a writers group Thurs. evening that I really enjoy but had to draw the line and be wise. Friends are looking out for me. Megan made sure I we rode a taxi home both Tues. and Thurs. Smart woman, I was dragging...

Side effects have been expected and then honestly a little surprising as well. Stomach issues abound as always but aren't as terrible as chemo week #7-12... Pains are there from coughing but I think the anti-inflammatory is really keeping things in check. My brain was really foggy on Wednesday. One student who is brutally honest (but caring too) told me "Mrs. Alvarez, I notice that you're making mistakes and are a little confused today, you must be tired." I simply said, "I am tired, you're right..." (I couldn't remember a student's name-- remembered it the next day no problem though!) So... taking things gently. Day by day. But honestly, I don't feel like I'm acting like I had another dose of chemo for the most part. Getting along. Living life. Having fun. Seeing friends. Working. Appreciating what I've got. Snuggling with my kiddo and husband. Dealing with a dog getting older (sob). Waking up grateful for another day. Doing qigong breathing exercises in the morning and night. Missing yoga but will get back to it... Grateful for this life.

My sister shared an interesting article.
http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-india-team-up-to-cure-cancer/

Thanks as always for journeying with me... Appreciating the support.

8 comments:

  1. I am grateful for every one of these posts, Debbie. Your strength is amazing. Sending you much love and doggy kisses from Xena.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... need to slow down though, don't want to burn myself out... :)

      Delete
  2. I don't always comment here, but I am reading them all and think of you often, Debbie. Your strength is inspiring, always. Much love to you and your family, and best of luck on the big move back home this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... grateful for the support and love...

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your journey...although long and arduous, I am inspired by your grace, strength and courage. Pull out some of your old tools and remember to breathe! You are amazing. Sending you love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, thinking about tools to use each day...

      Delete
  4. Debbie, your energy continues to astound me. Exhaustion would have come over me after all this activity WITHOUT treatments added to the mix. Your picture was very stylin'. Love the dress you're wearing - especially the sleeves. KOKO {keep on keepin' on} xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I love the sleeves as well... KOKO.... taking things day by day. :)

      Delete