Thursday, August 27, 2015

Oh, hi chemo, you again?


Multnomah Falls behind... carefully paced myself with this walk.
I've had a few very full, good days.
Meeting with new administration made me happy and grateful for support and faith in my abilities... Having time with family replenishes my energy.
Meeting up with families I treasured at my old school and seeing how much my former students have grown was special...
Going to the beautiful waterfalls at the Columbia Gorge was fun...
Meeting old and new colleagues for the future was wonderful...

Going to see my oncologist today was... mediocre. He very thoughtfully answered all my questions and clarified the situation at hand. "I hope you can understand, we're at the end of our options with treatment for you at this point." He is going ahead with Foundation 1 testing that I know needs to be done using the cells from the biopsy.
He wasn't thrilled with my question about off-label prescription of an immunotherapy drug but I'll be patient as I know Foundation 1 testing needs to happen to see about targeted therapy. He mentioned that having one patient getting a trial drug is not something he'd recommend. I say? Tough. I want to try. So, shall see...

Our sweet 15 year old dog Dulcie and I chilled out while
the guys went on with the hike... She was happy when her dad returned.
He also decided that we should begin chemo again, but not the scary kind that makes me lose my hair or decreases my white blood cells...
It is Avastin, chemo that is what he calls "single agent" to slow the progression rate of my tumors.
It does have side effects, hard for me to really know how I'll react since before when I had three chemo drugs being pumped into me there were so many side effects. I know I had a bloody nose. I know I didn't heal as well with scratches and such. There's loads of side effects listed on the website- http://www.avastin.com/patient

We talked with him about WHEN to have the Avastin begin and he said "Now"... So, tomorrow I begin. I'll get Avastin once every three weeks. It will take two hours or so vs. 4-6-8 hours of past chemo sessions. I am negotiating on time and such presently as they don't do treatment on Saturdays and I'm not thrilled with impacting work every three weeks. I also have to have a doctor check in 1-2 days before the treatment and those appointments are not available in the later afternoon. I know that most cancer patients aren't working full time and such but MEH to having to impact work hours. Shall see what happens. I'm concerned with things happening every three weeks. I looked at the calendar and at least I won't have to have chemo on my birthday.

---
Multnomah Falls is just astounding... so beautiful.
Other thoughts recently:
Reconnecting with a wonderful friend, Trudy, was beautiful and uplifting the other day. I appreciate the interesting resource she sent my way. Helpful article with some supplements that provide new ideas.
http://bottomlinepersonal.com/4-secret-cancer-fighters/

I appreciate that there's new options to help slow tumor growth, etc. Healthy living is also a bonus.

We also talked about how I was frustrated to not find support groups here in Oregon. I knew I was in a truly wonderful supportive environment in Hong Kong. Hoping to connect with people here. Trudy sent me a list of groups... Hooray, thank you again Trudy!
I find this list promising:
http://www.breastfriends.org/breast-cancer-charity/affiliates/oregon/oregon-support-groups/

I was frustrated with most groups because they meet during the daytime hour.... can't make it, but if I could, I'd attend these group meetings:
http://www.legacyhealth.org/health-services-and-information/health-services/for-adults-a-z/cancer/all-cancer-services/support-groups.aspx

http://www.cancermatters.com/portland/cancer-support-groups-2/gynecologic-cancer-support-group-2/

http://oregon.providence.org/~/media/files/providence%20or%20migrated%20pdfs/patients%20toolkit/cancer%20support%20group%20list.pdf


Also, appreciated learning about Harmony Hill- a retreat that is available to cancer fighters/thrivers/survivors: http://www.harmonyhill.org/

Alive Inside- what a beautiful inspiring movie... touching... made me cry a few times. Hooray for music and connections and respect and support... brilliant, highly recommended. Thanks to my mom for telling me about it!
Our alert Dulcie... She isn't showing side effects yet with the sarcoma.
Love our days with her. Proud of her ability to still go on family adventures!
Well, even though I'm returning to chemo, at least this time it won't be so debilitating. 
I will still be able to enjoy the days.
I'll still pay attention to my stamina.
I'll enjoy spending time with family.
I'll be able to work and settle into my new "school home"...
Thanks for journeying with me, as always...

4 comments:

  1. You are beautiful. Thank you for your continued sharing and teaching all of us through your journey. What can your library colleagues do for you? Love and peace, always, but any practical needs, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea... Certainly a meet up with library colleagues is in order, would love to see you... will speak up about needs... Love and hugs your way.

      Delete
  2. Hi Debbie, I can't thank you enough for being so inspiring on so many levels. "End of options" sounds like you need a new doctor. I'm glad you're not agreeing with him. Please don't give up. Sending you lots of love and healing thoughts. XXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenore, that's what I thought too. Shall see. No giving up on my end, just trying to make sure I balance a focus between health, family, and work... tricky tricky tricky. Many hugs your way, much love as well... xoxoxx

      Delete