Monday, August 24, 2015

Patient Advocacy, I want it.

Well. I hit my limit today.
I'm calling to talk with a patient advocate consultant at the hospital I'm going to in the morning.
I'm so frustrated with the situation I'm in...
Initially at the time I agreed to have the biopsy on my adrenal gland, I specially clarified that there a DNA analysis/molecular testing would be done. I received the answer "yes" and an explanation on how good the hospital's molecular testing was vs. any other hospitals' molecular tests...

I got the biopsy results last week but couldn't read them because the access is "granted" but not viewable for me online, and I'm pretty tech savvy, if I could see them, I would. The doctor finally copy/pasted the results into the text of an email today. I immediately saw that they didn't do the genetic testing that I was told would occur with my biopsy sample.

I asked what happened and had this answer:
"The reason for not obtaining them at the time of biopsy is because we didn't know what the primary source of the tumor was. 
It would likely be reasonable to ask for the samples collected to be evaluated further for molecular testing. You're a young patient, and if there are any mutations within your tumor, knowing that may help direct therapy. The decision to order molecular testing would need to be made by ...Dr. and ....Dr."

I have an appointment this Thursday but am concerned that it will be pointless because the oncologist will want to talk about chemo and I won't unless there's precise analysis of the tumor. I'm not going to want to do chemo without knowing it is actually worth it...

I also can't go ahead with any other research for treatments without that molecular testing/DNA analysis. Every place I called asked for those tests.

Exciting to have a new, reliable car.
Another Prius- my favorite color!
So frustrated.
I wrote to the oncologist I'm seeing on Thursday with my frustrations and a request for molecular testing, shall see.

Feel like I'm getting the run around. Being bounced from doctor to doctor isn't all that wonderful. I'm sure they all have the best of intentions but I'm noticing things slipping and not being done... and having to call to beg for appointments instead of having referrals isn't fantastic either... Hopefully a patient advocate might help me. Shall see.






Besides that frustration, I've been enjoying life... having work meetings, getting a new car (purchased with my last paycheck from my previous job/loan- hooray to learning how a lease isn't a terrible thing...), and enjoying time with family and friends.
Energy is there. Ebbs and flows and I'm just riding the waves and enjoying the days...
Went to a movie with my mom and sister today called "The Prophet" and found it quite powerful. It was animated... gorgeous. Wish I could have had a remote control and hit pause after certain points because it had so many deep, thoughtful moments and then quickly moved to another deep, thoughtful moment without time to digest the previous one. It also made me quite sleepy.
So proud of my sister and how she pursues opportunities to
share her talent with the world!!
Also had the chance to meet a few people I'll be working with this year... feel like this are progressing in the work setting, happy about the future with that. Excited...
Shall see how things go otherwise. I'm excited about meeting with family this week and going on a few adventures as well. Had a great trip to the beach this past week, was restorative. Also loved going to a SMART (Smart Making a Reader Today) event at Powells books and seeing fantastic author and illustrator friends, they inspire me so... Plus seeing my incredibly talented sister perform in a musical was fantastic.

Loved this beach- Hug Point... Oregon Coast.
I'm appreciating the nutritional program I'm on. I'm happy to have the time to focus on helping my immune system get stronger. I also am relieved to have those essential oils because with the air quality being a little poor recently with terrible forest fires in Oregon/Washington, the oils help me stop coughing, a little...

Thanks for journeying with me!




2 comments:

  1. Apart from the frustrating medical runaround, pleased you are enjoying your new home. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from the frustrating medical runaround, pleased you are enjoying your new home. Take care.

    ReplyDelete